Since 1911, The Federated Charities Corporation of Frederick has been a presence in downtown Frederick. Founded with the intention of providing charitable services to Frederick County residents in a central location under a single roof, our building at 22 South Market Street was donated as a generous bequest in the mid-1930s from the estate of Miss Margaret Williams whose family owned it as a private home. In turn, we have provided a “home” to such diverse charitable organizations as the Red Cross, The Frederick Community Foundation, United Way and The Downtown Frederick Partnership. We have also operated a kindergarten, distributed food and clothing to the needy and addressed medical needs in the community.
We continue today as the bricks and mortar for up to 10 local charities and operate the Beverly A. Sharrer Medical Equipment Loan Closet which provides free, 60-day loans of home health care equipment. In 2015, more than 800 pieces of equipment were loaned to Frederick County residents.